Monday, November 8, 2010

Shrimp and Grits

I am so upset with myself, because I made my shrimp and grits last night (we had Alisa over for dinner) and I FORGOT to take a picture! I love these too, so I am extra bummed. Last year, for my birthday, Michael took me to Let's Cook Culinary Studio and this is what we made. I fell in love and was impressed at how easy it was to make these just like you get in a restaurant. I have to take a picture next time I make them, but for now, trust that they are delicious!

Sauteed White Shrimp and Gravy
shrimp, peeled and deveined (you decide how many you want, the bigger the shrimp, the less you need)
-I used just shy of a pound of large shrimp for the 3 of us and it was a lot! Could have easily fed 4 if I had made more grits.
1 tsp olive oil
1/4 cup diced onion
2 slices bacon, chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic
2 Tbsp butter
2 Tbsp flour
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 cup chicken broth

Place olive oil in pan and heat to medium high temp. Add onion, garlic, and bacon. Cook until browned and bacon is crispy. Add shrimp and saute for 2 minutes. Move to sides of pan (creating a hole in the middle of the pan). Add butter and melt. Stir in flour to absorb butter into a paste. Add white wine and chicken broth. Allow to reduce.

Creamy Stone Grits
1 cup grits (this is great for 2-3 people)
1 cup milk
2 cup chicken broth

Place chicken broth and milk into a sauce pot. Bring to a simmer. Stir in grits slowly. Stir throughout, cooking for 10-15 minutes.

For the grits, I use stone ground grits from an old fashion mill. I bought some in Abingdon, VA while visiting Adam and Susan this summer. They are really big and I think they make all the difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment