Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My first pound cake


This is a big deal to me because my mother-in-law has won the Blue Ribbon at the State Fair for her pound cake. I decided to use a different recipe other than hers because I knew mine would not measure up. My dear friend Elizabeth Hyatt introduced me to this pound cake last summer, so I thought I would give it a go. It's from Tea Time at the Masters and is the sour cream pound cake from the Augusta National Club. The results: it's a bit lighter than my mother-in-law cake (fluffier in the middle), but other than that, it was very good! Definitely a keeper recipe.


2 sticks butter

2 2/3 cups sugar

6 eggs

1/4 tsp baking soda

1 8 oz carton of sour cream

3 cups plain flour

1 tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar well. Add one egg at a time, mixing well. Stir soda into sour cream. Add flour and sour cream to butter mixture. Add vanilla. Bake at 300 (I baked at 290) for 1 hour (do not open oven). Continue baking at 325 for 15 minutes longer.



Today was my last day of summer, so I wanted to bake something good-something I have little time to do when school is in. Maybe this sweet treat will help ward off the back to school blues...




2 comments:

  1. Love it! I was thinking of making a cake while I had the time too! Love you! You are so talented! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks so delicious! My favorite!

    ReplyDelete