Monday, October 25, 2010

Korean Japchae


I saw this recipe in Women's Health and it looked good. I made some changes (it called for soba noodles and I used lo mein, I omitted the enoki mushrooms because we are not mushroom eaters, omitted the spinach, and added chicken). It said it can be enjoyed hot or cold, but with the added chicken, I will eat my leftovers heated up. We thought it was yum! Michael thought it could handle a little more heat, so we might up that next time (maybe some red pepper flakes).

2 Tbsp sesame seeds (Michael said to leave these out next time)
3 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp sugar
2 tsp hot pepper paste (I used sriracha sauce because I had it)
1 Tbsp sesame oil
1 package lo mein noodles
2 tsp vegetable oil (plus I used a little more to cook the chicken in)
1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 green onions, thinly sliced
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin
(If you want to use this: 5 oz baby spinach, 3 oz enoki mushrooms, ends trimmed)

In a dry skillet, toast sesame seeds over medium heat until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from skillet and set aside. In a small bowl, combine soy sauce, sugar, hot pepper paste (sriracha sauce), and sesame oil. Set aside. Prepare noodles based on package instructions. Meanwhile, heat vegetable oil in a wok. Add yellow onion and carrot, cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic, green onion, red pepper (and spinach if you are using). Cook 3 minutes. Add in chicken. Cook a few more minutes until vegetables are soft. Stir in noodles and sauce. Coat thoroughly. Serve topped with toasted sesame seeds (and enoki mushrooms if using).

No comments:

Post a Comment