Monday, October 4, 2010

OUR MOST FAVORITE!!

Last year, my precious friend Elizabeth shared this white chili recipe with Michael and I. Elizabeth is the same one that I got the tomato tart recipe from. It seriously is the BEST thing that has ever been cooked at our home. It's so great on cold nights. It makes a ton, so you can freeze some or have leftovers. I have shared it with lots of people and everyone has raved about it!



Famous (at least in the Long family) White Chili

5 c. chicken chopped and cooked (I used just a pack of three boneless skinless breasts)

3 (15 oz) cans Great Northern Beans, drained

1 (32 oz) box chicken broth (I use low sodium)

1 (16oz) jar medium salsa ( the first time I used the publix kind that comes cold in the deli and the second Pace. I liked the first better because it wasn't chunky, or you could put the salsa through the food processor)

1 (8 oz) package Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, shredded

2 tsp ground cumin


In a 6 quart electric slow cooker, combine chicken, beans, broth, salsa, cheese, and cumin, Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Garnish with cheddar cheese, a dallop of sour cream, and jalapenos on top if desired (I don't think it needs it) Serve with corn chips.



I never put garnish on the top, but we definitely eat it with the Fritos scoops. I have a new found love for jalapeƱos, so I will try that on it next time. When it's cold outside, there's not much we'd rather eat. Michael and I are not ones for leftovers, but we could eat this days in a row! If I haven't been convincing enough yet-MAKE IT! You won't be disappointed!!

3 comments:

  1. Love it! You are the best. I will have to make it soon myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, YOU are the best! Michael asked TODAY, "When are we having white chili again?" I think my crock pot will get used a ton this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy,
    I am making this as we speak!

    It is better than "Senate Bean Soup"!!!

    :)

    LJS

    ReplyDelete