Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chicken Cornbread Casserole


I had to make a dish for a coworker whose husband is very sick. Michael and I love all sorts of food, but I am aware that when you make something for someone that you don't know very well that you need to not be too crazy. I decided to make this yummy southern dish. My mother-in-law passed this recipe to me. It's from Southern Living (March 2006).

2 celery ribs, chopped
1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix, cooked and crumbled
1 Tbsp poultry seasoning
1 package chopped, cooked chicken tenders
1 1/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
1 cup sour cream (I used fat free)
1 large egg, slightly beaten
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Saute onion and celery in oil. Cook until tender, set aside. Combine crumbled cornbread with poultry seasoning. Spray 11 x 7 baking dish with PAM spray. Layer half of cornbread on the bottom. Combine onion mixture and chicken (which has been crumbled). Mix chicken broth, sour cream, slightly beaten egg and salt. Add the chicken and onion mixture to this. Spoon this mixture over the cornbread layer in dish. Top evenly with remaining cornbread. Bake covered with foil at 350 for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from oven and top with cheese. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes until cheese is golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment