Sunday, July 24, 2011

Crispy Onion Rings

This recipe was my first with a cast iron skillet. I know my mom uses one, but I had never. I bought an inexpensive one and was pleased with it. It's Emeril's line for All Clad. I used the 12 inch. I did have to season the pan with vegetable oil first, so if you have never used one, don't forget to do that!


2 cups well shaken buttermilk
1 Tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley
1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme
1.5 cups flour
2 tsp salt
2 sweet onions, sliced 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings
3 cups safflower oil

Pour the buttermilk into a small bowl and add the parsley and thyme. Combine the flour and salt on a plate. Dip the onions into the buttermilk mixture, then dredge the flour and place on a baking sheet. Pour the oil into a cast iron frying pan and heat over medium (to medium high) heat to 300 degrees. Add onion rings to hot oil in small batches, being careful not to crowd the pan. Fry for about 3 minutes, turning once, or as needed so that they cook evenly. Adjust the heat as needed to maintain the temperature. Using tongs, transfer the onion rings to paper towels to drain. Serve immediately.

I loved these and thought they were a great fatty addition to our pimento cheese burgers on Friday night. Michael thought they were a little too salty. You should expect crispy onion rings, as the title says. I actually only used 1 1/2 onions, and didn't use the really little insides of the rings. It was more than we could eat. I would say this recipe feeds 4.

1 comment:

  1. Actually good reheated. I thought they were only going to taste good freshly cooked, but they remained crispy after reheating. Good job, Amy!

    ReplyDelete