Thursday, July 22, 2010

Burger and Butternut Squash

We love burgers here at the Long house! Went by the meat market (Ole Timey-it's the best if you live in Columbia) today and got some ground sirloin. I love buying meat at the meat market because its fresher and because you can buy the exact amount you want. I knew we were just making two and so I just bought 1/2 pound. Decided to spunk them up with a grilled red pepper, avocado, bacon, and colby jack. Also, I always mix Worcestershire sauce into my burger meat. Michael even grilled the kaiser roll to make them extra yummy!


The side dish was called Amazing Butternut Squash. While I don't know that it was amazing, it was pretty tasty. The recipe makes six servings. Also, when I make this again, I will omit the onion. This is weird for me to say, because I LOVE onion-I just thought it took over the flavor and I only used 1/4 cup.




  • 1 butternut squash- peeled, seeded and cubed

  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise

  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion

  • 1 egg, lightly beaten

  • 1 teaspoon brown sugar

  • salt and pepper to taste

  • 1/4 cup crushed saltine crackers

  • *I used townhouse

  • 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted



Boil squash until soft in large pot. Mash softened squash in a large bowl. Mix in the onion (if using), mayo, egg, brown sugar, salt and pepper. Pour mixture into greased 1.5 quart dish. Mix crackers, Parmesan cheese, and butter. Sprinkle over squash mixture. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes, until golden brown on the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment