Wednesday, December 22, 2010

And if the fish wasn't bad on it's own...



I also decided to make Michael a cake. He loves ginger and I found this recipe for a ginger cake in the Williams Sonoma Bride and Groom cookbook. It was delicious, what we could salvage. I was so frustrated with this because I knew it would be good and I just had issues with the pan size. I think the pan I used, though 9 inches, was not deep enough. Next time, I will either make this into cupcakes or use a 9 x 9 square cake pan.

1 large knob fresh ginger
1 cup dark molasses
1 cup sugar
1 cup canola oil
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp ground cloves
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Remove skin from ginger and slice across the grain into 1/2 inch pieces. Pulse the ginger in a blender to puree. Measure out a level 3 Tbsp and put in a medium mixing bowl. Add 1 cup cool water, molasses, sugar and oil. Mix vigorously with a whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is glossy. In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, cloves, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the ginger mixture and mix thoroughly until the batter is smooth. Pour into an ungreased 9 inch round cake pan (again, my disclaimer above). Bake at 325 for 25-35 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment