Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Epic Failure!


I decided that since I've been a little slack with cooking, I would really step it up over Christmas break since I had some time off. Night one of this was just a sad chain of events. I went to 3 grocery stores to buy swordfish, and then I overcooked it. I am still learning and trying to get better with pan searing fish. I love the flavor of cooking this way, but I am so nervous about undercooking that sometimes I overcook. I think this would have been yummy if the fish weren't so dry. The sauce was really good.

Pan-Seared Swordfish with Orange Apricot Sauce
4 swordfish steaks (6 oz each)
salt and pepper
2 Tbsp vegetable oil

Sauce:
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 shallot, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup orange juice
1 orange, peeled and chopped coarse
1 cup dried apricots, chopped medium
*I halved all of this to make the right amount for just 2 pieces of fish.

Pat fish dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a 12 inch skillet over high heat until just smoking. Carefully lay steaks in the pan and cook unitl spotty brown, about 5 minutes. Flip the fish over using two spatulas. Turn the heat down to medium low and continue to cook until fish flakes apart when gently prodded with a pairing knife. Transfer to a plate and tent with foil.

Add the butter to the skillet and melt over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook until softened, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant. Stir in orange juice, chopped orange and apricots. Bring to simmer and cook until thickened, about 4 minutes. Spoon over fish and serve.

We had the fish with stone grits from the Parks Mill in Abingdon (one of my most favorite treats) and green beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment