Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Momma's "Chicken n Dumplins"

I am a firm believer that I make the BEST chicken and dumplings. I make them the way my momma always made them, but I double the dumplings because they are the best part!

Cook 2 chicken breasts in boiling, salted water. Remove from water, retaining the broth in the pot. Break chicken into small pieces with hands. Add back to broth. (If more broth is needed, you can add some canned broth). Add dumplings and let simmer on low for 10-20 minutes, Stirring every few minutes.

For the dumplings: *this is a double recipe
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 Tbsp shortening or veg. oil
1 cup buttermilk

Add the first 3 ingredients together. Cut in the shortening or oil until the mixture resembles course crumbles. Add buttermilk, just until moistened. Roll out on floured space. Cut into small rectangles.

This makes a good amount and it's such great leftovers. This is my favorite winter food!

No comments:

Post a Comment