Monday, August 1, 2011

Buttermilk Biscuits

I had bought buttermilk for another recipe and wanted to use the rest of it, so I thought I'd make biscuits. They were so good! I love that in this recipe you don't have to roll and cut them...makes life easier.

1 cup all purpose flour, plus extra for the counter
1 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sugar
*I forgot this, but they still tasted great, I'll add it next time and see if I can tell the difference
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cut into Tbsp sizes (8) and chilled
3/4 cup cold buttermilk

Heat oven to 450 degrees. Pulse the flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a food processor to combine. Scatter the butter over the top and pulse to combine, about 12 pulses. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Stir in the buttermilk with a rubber spatula until the mixture forms a soft, slightly sticky ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured counter and quickly form into a rough ball. Do not overmix. Use a sharp knife to divide the dough into 12 even parts. Quickly and gently shape each piece into a rough ball and place on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until tops are light brown, about 10-12 minutes.

We had these for breakfast with butter and some honey that our friend Adam brought us from a neighbor who makes it in Virginia! SO GOOD!

No comments:

Post a Comment